TBO Into>English - Translator Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Institute names and other Proper names

2 posters

Go down

Institute names and other Proper names Empty Institute names and other Proper names

Post by Scott H Jackson Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:35 pm

Seeing that there are various proper names of Institutes in the doc, I was wondering if the proper style is to leave them in Spanish and/or (add the English equivalent in parenthesis).

Let me know what you think is correct in this type of document...
Scott H Jackson
Scott H Jackson

Back to top Go down

Institute names and other Proper names Empty Re: Institute names and other Proper names

Post by Scott H Jackson Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:16 pm

Here is what the style guide says under the section PROPER NAMES:

For organization and entity names that are not company names, the approved English name from the organization website should be used, if it exists, or it should be translated/transliterated the closest possible to the source. The name in the source language should not be included in parentheses, unless requested by the PM or the client’s own style guide.

...which I assume means that we 1. look for existing english names of the hospitals/institutes, or 2. translate them into english and 3. do not include the original spanish names in parentheses.
Scott H Jackson
Scott H Jackson

Back to top Go down

Institute names and other Proper names Empty Re: Institute names and other Proper names

Post by Max Luvecce Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:08 pm

There are specific instructions to this in the Language Guide. We should be careful to follow them. Specially to acronyms that are first defined and later replicated.
Max Luvecce
Max Luvecce

Back to top Go down

Post by Scott H Jackson Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:44 am

Here's what I have for the institute names:

Vissum Madrid Santa Hortensia = Vissum Madrid Santa Hortensia

Instituto Condal de Oftalmología de Barcelona = Condal Institute of Ophthalmology Barcelona

Hospital Universitario Príncipe de Asturias  = Prince of Asturias University Hospital

Hospital Municipal de Badalona = Badalona Municipal Hospital

Clínica Universitaria de Navarra = Navarre University Clinic

The one I'm not sure about is Instituto Condal, specfically the "de Barcelona" part. I googled this place with the English version of its name, and it always appears as "Condal Institue of Ophtalmology" without "Barcelona". But the spanish name doesn't officially included "de Barcelona" either.

Let me know what you think on this one.

Last edited by Scott H Jackson on Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:37 am; edited 3 times in total
Scott H Jackson
Scott H Jackson

Back to top Go down

Post by Scott H Jackson Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:26 am

Max via Skype wrote:[7/19/15 11:20:18 AM] Max Luvecce: Let me go back to something Gabriel said about the names of the institutions.
[7/19/15 11:20:57 AM] Max Luvecce: I agree with him, excepto for one thing that I think is a trick: shouldn't "Navarra" be "Navarre"?

I agree with Navarre.
Scott H Jackson
Scott H Jackson

Back to top Go down

Post by Max Luvecce Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:32 am

BTW, I looked up Badalona, and there is no other term for that in English. So, by that, Badalona stays as is, whereas Navarra in English is translated as "Navarre" (Linguée and others) so I would go with the translation.
Max Luvecce
Max Luvecce

Back to top Go down

Post by Scott H Jackson Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:38 am

Sounds good Max. I updated the list of institute names above...
Scott H Jackson
Scott H Jackson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum